IT System Up-Gradation Challenges
IT system up-gradation is needed; you cannot avoid it come what may. It is about technology getting outdated and need rising for the inclusion of new technology into the existing IT system of your company. Time demands that you keep modernizing and updating your IT system. Other than that, the need for up-gradation in India has also been rendered necessary because of the rollout of the GST (goods and services tax) and businesses could do nothing than to upgrade their IT system so as to make it compatible enough to track goods, new taxation, and refined costs.
In order to make the ERP (enterprise resource planning) of your IT system calculate GST of your company, it needs up-gradation. The ERP is also responsible for the organizational management, monitoring human resource related functions, tracking the goods and finance of the company. That makes IT system up-gradation extremely crucial for existing systems to perform such functionalities. Now the thing with such an up-gradation is that each IT system needs to receive well-customized up-gradation, which in itself poses a serious challenge.
After upgrading the IT system the game does not end here. In fact, it begins here. Because after the update, the IT system would not function as it used to function, it demands extra training of the users of that system so as to make them familiar with its functionality. Not only users but system admin as well get affected by the upgrade, which is another challenge associated with IT system up-gradation.
It demands proper planning done well in advance to roll out up-gradation process as it causes suspension in the business operations of your company. That should serve as an alarm for you to make sure everything is in place so that impact can be minimized. One of the best ways to minimize the impact is by following best practices for up-gradation. Some of these practices are as follows.
- Upgrade taking into consideration your company`s needs.
- Take stock of possible consequences the upgrade would have on users before and after the upgrade.
- Employ ways that minimize the impact on your business operations.
- Make sure the upgraded system would function as anticipated.
When a need arises for the system upgrade, take into consideration not just what it can do for you today, to make it perform a particular function but also what it can deliver you tomorrow, how it will perform while envisaging the future developments in the business. It should at least last for a couple of years. During the process, there come various challenges, but with the right kind of attitude, those challenges can be overcome. Let`s now take the IT system up-gradation challenges one by one.
- Integration – Important of them all, integration of the new system into the old is often a challenge you need to take head-on. It is not that you replace one system with another. Instead what you do is, incorporating new tools into your old IT system. That is quite hectic a process than complete replacement.
- Millennial Workforce –They find it often hard to cope with the up-gradation process and its aftermath. It happens because they are used to viewing technology as something which solves problems. When the same system undergoes up-gradation, it becomes hard for them to not get the assistance of technology to resolve an issue.
- Data Loss –Another great challenge posed by the IT system up-gradation is fear of data loss. The only way to prevent loss of such an important data is preplanning your upgrade, making your team analyze the process thoroughly, and executing the up-gradation process accordingly. It will keep you focused, knowing exactly what is happening.
- Regular Updates –When a system receives an update, it changes the coding of the system, brings in protocols that were not there before. Yet, when that much part of the process is done what is still the challenge is ensuring the consistency of the upgraded system, its availability to undertake new business operations. By opting for regular updates can relieve you of that challenge as it would not all of a sudden bring a huge change in the IT system of your company but only a minor one, yet can reach the same upgraded level after a couple of these short, regular updates. It saves you from undergoing larger system upgrades.
- Cost-effectiveness –You will have to choose between whether to go for complete system replacement or up-gradation based on the cost each process would need. While there are already many challenges associated with IT system up-gradation still, figuring out the cost efficiency between the two processes can deliver you from those challenges.
- User Experience –When you upgrade to the latest technology, what your users have to deal with is no longer an old-style technology competent in accomplishing a task or two. The modern technology is way more complex, perceptive and fully imitative of the user experience. Its functions are no doubt complex and that is definitely a challenge, but once you master it, the client satisfaction is a sure success.
Apart from these few challenges, there are plenty more. Over the years you may have developed a kind of attachment with that old technology but up-gradation wants you to give that attachment up and pave the way for new technology to undertake the process of business operations. The most important thing that often gets neglected regarding the up-gradation process is documenting every bit of it beforehand. It will help you achieve your goal in the best possible way. To train your staff to embrace the new technology is another challenge you need to fight out.
In short, the key point about IT system up-gradation is that it is full of challenges. Even if there are challenges but those cannot deter you from going for an upgrade as it is necessary. In order to overcome those challenges what you need is a proper strategy, well trained and motivated staff to embrace the upgraded system and keeping in mind the long-term goals. Once you take care of such things, it will work your way, exactly the way you wanted it to work.
Latest posts by Rohit Madaan (see all)
- Top 10 Real Estate Marketing Ideas - September 5, 2018
- Smart Business Strategy Using END to END Mobile Phone Integration. - August 31, 2018
- Artificial Intelligence Application in Robotics - August 9, 2018