A 15 Minute Best Practice RPA Implementation Guide [Updated 2020]
Robotic Process Automation is growing exponentially as it is driving a massive increase in productivity within the organization. With the minimal upfront investment, it focuses on delivering advantages to a diverse range of departments when implemented.
From multiplying the staff productivity to the utilization of information efficiently, RPA is helping enterprises automate almost every task.
As per the Software Testing and Big Data Hadoop report, the maximum number of working hours are spent on different repetitive tasks. This is quite a time consuming having a dire effect on the processes that are on priority.
To make it more clear, RPA is a technology that employs software equipped with bots that do work by imitating humans. These bots help in executing repetitive and predictable tasks having a high volume of data. The bots focus on capturing data, interpreting responses, and then effectively communicating with multiple devices strategically.
Although RPA has a long list of benefits, still various organizations are unable to execute the RPA implementation plan successfully.
Any entrepreneur who is looking forward to implementing an RPA approach successfully is guided in the right direction with this complete guide that covers everything.
Table of Content
- RPA Stats to Consider
- What Companies expect from RPA?
- What is the RPA Market Growth Worldwide (2016-2022)?
- How to Build a Comprehensive RPA Implementation Plan?
- The Final Implementation Approach
- Benefits right RPA implementation offers
- Key Takeaway
Before moving ahead, let’s take a look at a few statistics regarding RPA.
RPA Stats to Consider
- According to Forrester, RPA’s exponential growth is expected from $250 million in 2016 to $2.9 billion in 2021.
- Deloitte’s third annual RPA survey states almost 53% of companies have already begun the “RPA journey”. Also, RPA will soon achieve global adoption in the next 5 years.
Expectations from Robotic Process Automation
- The RPA solution should generate mass mails, extract media data (PDFs and docs), send payroll invoices, create and send invoices.
- The primary focus of every business is to generate revenue. Agree? RPA is expected to help in quote-to-cash by automating sales operations. So that transaction execution is faster and accurate.
- RPA should also help in mass data management. Considering the sheer volume of data out there, a company should be able to collect, integrate, analyze, and process as per requirement.
- RPA solutions should help in improving process performance.
RPA Market Services & Growth from 2016-2022
Source: HFS research
According to a recent report, RPA Market To Reach USD 20.7 Billion By 2026.
How to Build a Comprehensive RPA Implementation Plan?
Major Challenge: While adopting RPA solutions, companies face a major challenge which is the alignment of an organizational strategy.
- Businesses should introduce scalable RPA solutions. The ones that support the future use of Artificial Intelligence and upcoming technologies.
- It is important for organizations to make sure that all the processes they practice are standardized and digitized.
Before starting with the implementation plan it’s very important to do RND about the major challenges. So, let’s have an insight regarding various challenges.
Challenges Companies Face while Adopting RPA
The aforementioned image clearly depicts the RPA implementation challenges which include:
- Inability to prioritize tasks
- Cybersecurity and data security concern
- The high cost of implementation
- Challenge in scaling applications
- Making a convincing business case
- Deciding the best application
- Regulatory constraints
- Aversion to risk
- Limited RPA skills or developers
Tackling Challenges while Maintaining Effective RPA Implementation
To avoid any hassle in the implementation of the RPA solution, companies should have an:
- Effective plan
- Governance structure
- Specific guidelines
- Transparent operating model
- Supports future use of AI
Follow the below-mentioned strategies step by step for successful planning and overcoming the challenges:
- Start with simple to automate processes: Everything depends on your initial efforts. To begin with, straightforward processes where RPA will provide significant value.
- Make sure existing processes are efficient: Don’t start RPA implementation right away. If you are willing to get the best results, ensure the existing processes are efficiently automated and completely optimized.
- Consider app scalability and AI support: Companies are unaware of the fact as to the number of bots deployed and how they work. When RPA adoption begins at a functional level, most companies are unable to manage them. To make sure the bots don’t get retired, ensure the organization is well-prepared for the advanced AI support.
- Addressing data privacy risks: Enterprises not emphasizing on efficient monitoring of RPA may lead to high risk. Make sure every application has an audit trail. This helps in understanding the building process, the working process, and the changes made.
- Have the right RPA software: Be careful of the bots purchase. Many have an unnecessary number of bots that aren’t even useful. Companies assume all RPA solutions are the same. But in practice, every RPA software for business practices a different approach towards process automation.
- Analyze the cost-friendliness of RPA application: Monitor the value of RPA beyond efficiency and cost-effectiveness. Know how to track enhancement in speed, productivity, quality, and speed. Also, feel the difference in employee engagement and customer gratification.
- Follow a Comprehensive Team Approach: Enterprises often hand over the complete project to the development team. Thus new opportunities are not explored.
The Final Stepwise Implementation Approach
A well-prepared approach leads to taking full advantage of RPA. This includes building momentum, deploying bits, and monitoring their effectiveness.
RPA implementation is a journey and the following graphic guides to create a successful RPA plan.
The Final RPA Implementation Journey involves the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1: Program Initiation
Establishing a successful RPA program requires objective alignment. The service ensures if it is beneficial for the purpose. A clear RPA business plan is a cornerstone of successful deployment.
Step 2: Assessing Potential Opportunities
To attain the best results, the organization’s initial process assessment is essential. Make sure the focus is on:
- Input and output volume
- Process variability
- Value unlocked via automation
Volume and process variability should remain in equilibrium as they have a direct effect on cost-benefits. During an evaluation, enterprises should consider data security, cybersecurity, and scalability.
Step 3: Developing Proof of Concept
After process selection, enterprises should experiment with robotic process automation tools and technologies to understand their working. Aim at the key elements of the process and not the complete initiative. Cross-check if the bot has the caliber to work and deliver the best results. This will help in creating an effective proof of the complete concept and ensure the efforts don’t go in vain.
Step 4: Deploy a pilot
Once you attain a conceptual proof, run the pilot. This further reduces bot deployment inefficiencies.
Are you sure you are investing in the right software?
For ensuring that, measure the bot’s performance vs. manual process. Keep running the traditional process against the bot. This helps in proving its real worth.
Step 5: Resource organization
Before pilot production, companies organize cross-functional project teams and resources. To keep business goals in sync, the responsibilities have to be very clear. A successful strategy includes a plan where employees’ suggestions should be considered, potential impacts are known and training programs are welcomed.
Step 6. Setting up of an Implementation Plan
A comprehensive implementation plan with a detailed strategy is the need of the hour.
For example, some companies think they only need to hire RPA developers but that is not the case. A complete team having business analysts, project managers, operating staff, etc helps in monitoring the application. Another mistake is budgeting for deployment. You also have to consider maintenance costs and additional software development costs.
Step 7: Operate and Monitor
When bots are up and running, don’t forget to analyze their performance. Ensure they are not overloaded. Operational benefits and greater productivity are worth considering.
Driving the Right Benefits from RPA implementation
The benefits of adopting the RPA systems range from boosting productivity to improving employee engagement, from accelerating time to market and generating more revenue.
When implemented in the right way, RPA can generate operational and strategic advantages.
Creating a plan for RPA processes is vital but that’s not enough. Successful RPA implementation needs adequate budget and performance monitoring. Make sure tasks are prioritized so that service providers can deliver expected results.
The task priority has to be set based on ‘Three V’s’: value, volume, and variability.
Companies should take a broader view of value and this is beyond cost. The volume also plays a crucial role. Further, the volume is weighted against variability or complexity.
When various tasks have to be differently processed, complexity adds to the cost, especially in large enterprises.
Here is the long list of benefits RPA offers:
1. RPA Gives Accuracy
Human error results in the loss of businesses billions of dollars annually. Do you remember the simple typo that caused the stock market to plunge 1000 points and wipe out $1.1 trillion in 2010? Yes
Regardless of the fact of how skilled you are at a task, and how carefully you approach it, mistakes are always inevitable. The reasons may vary, sometimes due to transcription, transposition, or carelessness.
The average benchmark for data entry errors ranges from 2-5%. To achieve the highest level of efficiency, it is important to eliminate errors. This risk is significantly elevated with tedious and repetitive tasks as it results in boredom. They are undertaken with the least interest and therefore, suboptimal vigilance.
RPA bots are extremely accurate. They are not susceptible to the myriad of factors resulting in human errors. The process and workflow should be optimized before automation else the RPA software will dutifully replicate the error.
2. Productivity Enhancement
RPA never takes leaves or never goes on a vacation. They are neither late to work nor are they moody. They keep working tirelessly, round the clock with consistency and efficiency every minute.
The productive gains of RPA have to be real as well as measurable. According to a new study from Information Services Group (ISG), which is a leading global technology research and advisory firm, RPA enables companies to execute processes 5-10 times faster. This is an average of 37% fewer resources.
3. Time and Labor Saving
As per The National Association of Software and Services Companies, RPA helps in delivering a reduction in labor cost up to 35-65%. The return on investment in as few as six months.
Estimates from experts at Deloitte Consulting, Everest Group, and KPMG help in a cost-saving of RPA up to 70%.
Source: Medium (Graphical Representation of Time Saving)
The robotic workforce can be as large or as small as per your requirement. The new bots can be deployed quickly and that too at a minimum cost.
Whenever there is peak business activity like a new product launch, RPA has the power to handle the improved transaction volume. This means there is no need to hire new staff and train them. And you can also put the RPA bots at standby whenever you want.
RPA is either permanent or transitory addition to the company. It helps in scaling up or down with the response to business changes.
5. Improvement of Service Level
The businesses that deploy RPA for handling routine tasks can refocus the individuals on creative, strategic work and delivering better services to customers.
A smart way to integrate into business operations is to allow the bots to work efficiently on the tasks.
For example, the service level can be improved by automating tasks during customer interaction, increasing time to resolution, and decreasing customer frustration.
6. Flexibility & Adaptability
RPA is compatible with any software system. The automation tends to introduce flexibility to businesses where parts of constant process change in a system that has inbuilt intelligence.
As RPA mimics human action, there are no coding changes that take place. This makes it flexible and adaptable to virtually any business. ERP, CRM, and industry-specific applications are the best candidates for RPA.
The best part is, a bot can work across a broad spectrum of applications simultaneously. This includes matching your unique business process and workflows.
Studies have proved when humans have to make small changes in the routine tasks, they forget to make modifications. RPA solutions are installed on servers to combat this challenge while making the complete process flexible and scalable.
7. Promotion of Agility
Companies that quickly adapt to the changing market trends and varying customer demands are the ones that enjoy the fruits of success.
By investing in Robotic Process Automation, you develop an agile foundation. This gives you the ability to scale up, scale down, branch out, accept new challenges, grow your capacity, decrease overhead, and be efficient while focusing on strategic initiatives.
8. Improved Communication
Companies can replace document creation tools with RPA as it is well-equipped to carry critical communication processes via intelligence. RPA has the ability to make a single document and it will be triggered throughout other documents. This releases the pressure on employees to manually update files and make small edits. The complete process helps the ender user to receive the latest information, every time.
9. Hassle-Free Implementation
RPA implementation doesn’t need API setup and this saves the businesses huge cost and time. The Robotic Process Automation for business comes with its own set of GUI. They are easier to use and require less technical expertise. The RPA system has the caliber to perform the same operations individuals do like clicks, keystrokes, button pressing via the same user-interface.
With robotics hands working on data and analytics, there are fewer risks of data leakages, obsolete information, and wring analysis. RPA helps businesses to know correct data and verified insights with minimal error rates.
Therefore, a wider spread of data collection and analysis leads to comprehensive insights. Meanwhile, the staff members of your company can focus on more sophisticated analytics, leading to better decision making.
10. Secure Data
RPA can be integrated with multiple applications in order to improve the security of enterprise data. According to these integrations, the client apps aren’t modified. However, the system reduces the risk of unauthorized access as business elements inherit pre-existing security infrastructure. This is where authorization concepts are already implemented.
11. RPA Budgeting and Monitoring Results
To generate the best results, companies should have the right budget in place. Equally important is to measure how the Robotic Process Information bots are performing. Continuous ROI monitoring of applications streamlines investment in RPA. Correct implementation results in higher revenue growth as well as productivity.
Big names like AT&T, Gamestop, and Verizon, have already adopted the RPA system. In the near future, there will be more rises in the adoption and implementation of RPA. It will be used for more processes within an organization across different departments expecting to manage customer-focused and other processes. They will be fit to deal with the data-intensive tasks error-free, sparing the sector significant time and liberating individuals to aim at high-value work.
You can successfully implement RPA when you have the right team with you. Minimize efforts, enhance client satisfaction, and boost revenue. For this, you have to test the waters and ensure every step you take is scrutinized.
Still on the fence and thinking whether or not you should bot-o-mate your business’ tasks? Take the help of the best RPA consultants so that you get a competitive edge that is required to get ahead in your industry.
Latest posts by Ashok Sharma (see all)
- A 15 Minute Best Practice RPA Implementation Guide [Updated 2020] - May 4, 2020
- Top 11 Benefits of RPA Implementation in Business Processes - April 3, 2020
- 10 Tips for Creating The Perfect E-Learning Website - March 16, 2020